Regardless of property type and the size of your project, begin with identifying the following:
- Expectations: Collect your ideas for the project in notes, pictures or whatever form you are comfortable with. Clearly outline your specific goals and prioritize your expectations, so you can build a short list of contractor prospects to begin researching.
- Search: You can begin by performing a basic online search for painting contractors in your area. However, inquiring with property owners of homes/buildings that have recently been painted to find out who completed the job for them is even better. You can also look in local magazines for features on recently renovated homes to see if a painting contractor is mentioned.
- Experience: Review each prospective contractor’s website and/or social media platforms to determine how long they have been in business and if they specialize in projects similar to yours. Additionally, search for independent online reviews and photos of projects they have completed.
Once you have done your homework, build a short list of prospective contractors ranked based on their ability to meet your goals. The next step is to call or meet with the prospective contractors to actively engage in the bidding process. During your conversations, consider asking the following questions:
- Are they appropriately licensed and carry worker’s comp insurance on employees?
- How familiar are they with the type of project you will be bidding out and will references be provided from past customers?
- Will the estimate be in writing and include all hard costs (paint, etc.)?
- What type of paint will be used and how many coats will be applied?
- How long will the entire project take?
- Will the residents/staff of the property need to vacate during the project?
- How will the non-paintable areas be covered?
- How will cleanups for accidents be taken care of?
- Does the work come with a warranty (in writing) and what does it cover?
- What screening process do they use to hire painters and how many will be on-site to complete the project?
- How will the final inspection take place with the painting foreman?
Remember, finding the right painting contractor to meet your needs should be a relatively painless process. Unlike electricians and other subs involved in the building process, conversations with painting contractors don’t require that you understand special terms or processes.
At Gibson Pro Painting we have more than 30 years of combined experience with painting residential and commercial spaces in Northwest Florida. Our team specializes in managing customer expectations with quality work done in a timely manner and pride ourselves on our responsiveness and reliability. Contact us today for more information on our services or to schedule an appointment for a free quote.